Call for Entries: Sashay at the FAC
Please note, this event has expired.
Designers, impress Colorado Springs with your most outrageous and innovative designs! Sashay is a fashion show, cocktail-dance party, and exhibition in one, bringing together some of our region’s finest creative talents to create wearable art works to desire and inspire.
The entry deadline is March 17. A notification of acceptance will be received by March 22, 2019.
Submit entries to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Designers, impress Colorado Springs with your most outrageous and innovative designs.
Sashay is a fashion show, cocktail-dance party, and exhibition in one, bringing together some of our region’s finest creative talents to create wearable art works to desire and inspire.
Launched in 2015 with a runway show featuring Project Runway designer Patricia Michaels and approximately 20 designers, body painters, and performers, the first installment of Sashay showcased designs inspired by an exhibition of the art of Georgia O’Keeffe.
The 2019 edition is inspired by World of Wearable Art™, a spectacular international competition in New Zealand and its related exhibition, on view at the Fine Arts Center June 22–September 22 (www.worldofwearableart.com).
Questions? Please contact Joy Armstrong, Curator of Modern and Contemporary Art.
What you will provide:
- A fully completed entry form with 1–3 images per proposed design. Your design may already exist or may still be a concept at this initial stage. Please label your images with designer or team name and the title of the artwork (i.e. “Jane.Doe.Awesome.Wearable.Art”).
- A narrative description of the wearable art piece not to exceed 250 words.
- A designer/team artist statement with current bio and website if applicable.
- Transportation for yourself, your model, and your piece to and from the event.
- Images and information for marketing and publicity as requested.
- Because one size does not fit all, designers are required to provide their own model. However, if you need assistance identifying someone, please let us know.
Proposals that respond to the inclusive aesthetics of our global community and celebrate diverse ethnicity, abilities, and body types (in design and/or in model choice) will receive special consideration by the judges.
What we will provide:
- $500 to each accepted designer/team.
- Advance hair and makeup consultations and services the day of the event. Designers and models must be fully ready by 7 p.m., therefore makeup and hair will begin earlier in the day.
- Two VIP tickets each for designers and models.
Selected designs will be judged in person on the day of the event, taking into consideration factors such as quality of construction and originality, including use of technology, unconventional materials, or transformative components.
The Fine Arts Center reserves the right to eliminate final pieces that differ significantly from initial proposals. Designs must be original works of art, safe for viewers and the venue, and models need to be able to navigate several sets of stairs and a long walk.
All event participants will be eligible for the following juried awards:
- $1,500 first place
- $1,000 second place
- $500 third place
- $500 people’s choice
The Colorado Springs Fine Arts Center at Colorado College celebrates the multi-culturality of the Pikes Peak region; artists representing traditionally marginalized groups are encouraged to apply.
For more about Colorado College’s commitment to diversity and inclusion, please visit: https://www.coloradocollege.edu/basics/welcome/diversity/commitment.html
30 West Dale Street, Colorado Springs, CO 80903
MORE FROM Colorado Springs Fine Arts Center at Colorado College
Aug 3 - Nov 3, 2019
Dec 15, 2018 - Dec 29, 2019