One Year Out in Olympic City USA
Please note, this event has expired.
Join over 30 Team USA athletes, top national team coaches and local organizations for interactive sports experiences for kids, as well as live demonstrations by some of the nation’s best athletes!
Local kids and residents will have the opportunity to sharpen their sport skills, meet members of Team USA, and see sport demonstrations by some of the nation’s best athletes on Wednesday, July 24, as Colorado Springs – Olympic City USA celebrates the start of the one-year-countdown to the 2020 Olympic Games in Tokyo, Japan.
It is being held in coordination with the United States Olympic and Paralympic Committee and local National Governing Bodies.
The event will feature the Olympic City USA hot air balloon, a soccer mini-clinic, volleyball skills instruction, a skateboarding competition and other hands-on activities for kids to try their hand at Olympic sports. In addition, three national teams from USA Wrestling will show their skills.
Hundreds are expected to attend the event which will feature the following activities:
- Demonstration by USA Wrestling’s three Cadet teams in freestyle and Greco-Roman wrestling
- Meet and Greet and autographs with 2017 USA Gymnastics National Champion Eddie Penev and Para judo athlete Ricky Ties, both Team USA hopefuls for the 2020 Olympic and Paralympic Games
- “Best Trick” competition featuring the new Olympic sport of skateboarding with local group Sk8 Strong
- Soccer skills mini-clinic by the American Youth Soccer Organization and the City’s Parks, Recreation and Cultural Services department
- Gymnastics mini-lessons by local club, Precizion 509 Gymnastics
- Photo opportunities with the Olympic City USA hot air balloon, courtesy of Hot Apple Productions
- USA Field Hockey demonstrations
- USA Volleyball sitting volleyball demonstrations
- And More
The event comes 365 days before the Opening Ceremonies of the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020, and two days before competition begins for more than 600 U.S. athletes in Lima, Peru for the Pan American Games, where several qualifying events will take place for Tokyo 2020.
Contact: (719) 726-4175
INDIVIDUAL DATES & TIMES*
Additional time info:
Farragut Dr. will be closed between Pikes Peak Avenue and Sports Drive. Attendees should enter the park via Union Blvd. or Hancock Drive.
1605 E. Pikes Peak Ave, Colorado Springs, CO