An outreach of the Manitou Springs Historical Society, the mission is to preserve and restore the architectural integrity of Miramont Castle Museum and to provide educational experiences and resources on the history of Manitou Springs, its indigenous people and artifacts.
Miramont Castle Museum, a non-profit organization, was added to the National Register of Historic Places on May 3, 1977. Achieving national landmark status is a tribute to the building’s historic heritage and architectural variety.
Miramont Castle was built as a personal residence in 1895 by Fr. Jean Baptiste Francolon for himself and his mother. The Francolons returned to France in the 1900’s. The Sister’s of Mercy then purchased the Castle in 1904, and utilized it in the summer as part of their Sanitarium until 1927 when the Castle transitioned into a retreat and vacation home for the Sister of Mercy. In 1946 the Sisters sold the building to private investors. The building changed hands eleven times over the thirty year Apartment Era. During ensuing years, the Castle fell into disrepair and suffered a great deal of damage.
The Manitou Springs Historical Society purchased the Castle in 1976 and saved it from condemnation. Thousands of hours of volunteer labor have gone into restoration, and thousands more are needed. The Museum has 4 floors, 14,000 sq. feet and 33 rooms to view. The building features 9 styles of architecture. Tours of the Castle are self guided. While you are here; Visit the Queen’s Parl
Aug 21 - Aug 29, 2021
Jul 16 - Jul 17, 2021
May 29 - May 30, 2021
Apr 11, 2020
Feb 14 - Feb 16, 2020