Intentionally rusty, Bison is one of a pair of sculptures created by artists Don and Charles Green. According to the brothers, the piece is “constructed of plate steel welded to an armature of steel rod and has been allowed to rust to achieve a natural patina that blends beautifully with the site at the airport entrance.”
Bison sits nearby the Native American warrior Blota Hunka, and the two sculptures have welcomed visitors to the airport and our region since 2000.
Brothers Don and Charles Green relocated from Nebraska with their farming family in 1940. After attending college on a football scholarship, Don was hired in 1956 to teach at Colorado Springs’ East Junior High School, and he worked for School District 11 for the next 30 years. Don’s first commission as a public artist came in 1978, with the creation of Rearing Horse. Now, after being involved in public art for more than three decades and creatiing many well-loved landmarks (including the animal benches at Cheyenne Mountain Zoo), the prolific Don has lost track of exactly how many pieces he has sited throughout Colorado Springs and the greater region.
Medium type: Steel
Date created: 1980
Colorado Springs, 80916