This mural was completed in 2008 by Kim Polomka. It was commissioned by Watson Realty who then owned the Giddings’ building. Edwin Giddings moved to Colorado in 1868 seeking a cure for tuberculosis. In 1874 he and his wife Hester started a dry goods store at 112 S. Tejon. In 1898-99 they built the then tallest building in Colorado Springs and its first true department store at 101 N. Tejon. The dry goods item tickets on the mural are copies of memorabilia from the Giddings’ family private archives of the department store. The thread and button are an homage to the women of the Pikes Peak Region.
The mural is actually on the north wall of 109 N. Tejon, next door to the Giddings’s building. For more information about the architecture and history of the building see information from Historic Downtown Colorado Springs Virtual Tours, http://www.springsgov.com/plan/historic3/WalkingTour.ASP?WCI=CityHall&WCE=77&Click=Short. For more information about the Giddings see the Giddings Foundation web site: http://thegiddingsfoundation.org/about-the-giddings-foundation/. See the photos below for mural details and the building. (Source: Giddings’ Foundation, springsgov.com websites)
Medium type: Paint (acrylic, oil, etc.)
Date created: 2008
112 South Tejon St., Colorado Springs, CO, 80903