Dubbed the “Little Sister of Liberty,” this 8-foot replica of New York Harbor’s Lady Liberty was part of a nationwide program by the Boy Scouts of America. The year 1950 marked the 40th anniversary of the club, and Boy Scout troops across American states and territories celebrated by dedicating more than 200 of these tributes to freedom between 1949 and 1952.
The replica was designed by Jack P. Whitaker, a Kansas City businessman and National Scout Council member. Multiple copies of the piece were fabricated and sold for between $300 and $350. Local scouts installed and dedicated the Colorado Springs statue in 1951.
Time and neglect have taken a toll on many of the replicas, and a nationwide effort to restore the remaining statues began in the 1990s. Our local liberty was restored by the City of Colorado Springs and reinstalled in front of City Hall in 2010. Now sporting its original bright copper finish, the piece is intended to patina naturally over time and take on a green tinge. Funding for the statue base was raised by the Platte Avenue Business Association.
Colorado Springs, 80903
Date created: 1951