Two range riders are situated at the intersection of South Cascade and West Pikes Peak Avenues. The bronze pair was created by artist Rusty Phelps, dedicated on July 23, 1988, and is a gift of the Pikes Peak Range Riders in appreciation of the community’s support of the Pikes Peak or Bust Rodeo each summer and in celebration of our western heritage.
The inscription on the plaque reads: “These Range Riders no longer on this earth do ride. They now follow new trails beyond the Great Divide, Where the water’s sweeter and the grass grows higher, And the way is so easy that man or mount ever tire.”
The Pikes Peak Range Riders organization was founded in 1949 by Kenneth D. Brookhart (depicted on the mule in the sculpture) and Everett R. Conover (on the horse). This dedicated group of horsemen make an annual trail ride for five days each summer to promote the Pikes Peak or Bust Rodeo.
Date created: 1988
Colorado Springs, 80903