Supperstein Bell Tower
A tall, square steel column sits in Antlers Park, with an assortment of bells attached around the top of the tower. The piece was created by artist Don Green, who was commissioned by the Suppersteins, owners of local business Supperstein Steel & Company. The bells are part of a collection of steam locomotive bells, owned by a patriarch of the Supperstein family.
A local since 1940, Don Green relocated from Nebraska as a youth with his farming family. After attending college on a football scholarship, Don was hired in 1956 to teach at Colorado Springs’ East Junior High School, and he worked for School District 11 for the next 30 years. Don’s first commission as a public artist came in 1978, with the creation of Rearing Horse. Now, after more than three decades of creating public art, including many well-loved landmarks, Don has lost track of exactly how many pieces he has sited throughout Colorado Springs and the greater region.